Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Which Powdered Hot Chocolate?

I found a sachet of Nestle Double Blend Hot Chocolate in my pantry. I thought I would try it out. I was sceptical because it was a water based mixture and I hate watery hot chocolate. I followed the advice on the packet to "surrender to the instructions" and "indulge in this smooth hot chocolate". Full marks for adding advertising spin to those usually prosaic instructions. There was a good quantity of powder in this sachet (20g). I added hot water and a bit of milk to it and it made quite a frothy chocolate which I thought was an interesting achievement in food engineering. I am not sure whether it was the Maltodextrin, Anti-Caking agent or Phenylalanine on the ingredients list that created that froth.

The result was not too bad. Better than dispensing machine chocolate but not as good as the Café chocolates I have had. In comparison with my normal Cadbury's chocolate made with milk, I found it had a plausible dark chocolate flavour but I still preferred the natural creaminess of the Cadbury's. It was not too rich and did not have chocolate sediment at the bottom.

I worry a bit about those chemicals. The ingredients for the Cadbury chocolate all look a lot more recognisable (Sugar, Cocoa, Mineral Salt, Flavour – which of course could be anything).

1 comment: