• Best hot chocolate (The Gold Merkel)
There will then be two special awards
• Kitchen Adventures award for the best home hot chocolate product
• Hall of fame award for best contribution to the art of making hot chocolates
The Gold Merkel nominations for the best hot chocolate for 2009 are:
- Chocolate at No. 5 for a well presented tasty Belgian hot chocolate
- Dragonfly for a rich, tasty standard hot chocolate
- Cremorne Hotel for a well presented, good tasting standard hot chocolate
- Bracegirdles, Toorak Gardens for the best tasting chilli chocolate ever
- Kaffeehaus double chocolate hot chocolate
- Spats Café for the hot chocolate with Baileys Irish Cream.
The winner is Bracegirdles, Toorak Gardens.
Anyone following the Kitchen Adventures thread on this blog will know that there is not much sophistication in the kitchen of Merkel and Mytle Marmaduke. A good hot chocolate made in this home kitchen has to be good tasting and fairly difficult to get wrong. Honourable mention goes to Lucia's Hot Chocolate from Lucia's Home Made fine foods. The winner is Super Premium Sipping Chocolate from the Gingerelli Chocolate Company.
Hall of fame award for best contribution to the art of making hot chocolates goes to Kappy's Café for being an Adelaide tradition in tea, coffee and hot chocolate drinking. The photograph of hot chocolate in a long stemmed glass is a signature icon used by Merkel Marmaduke on Urban Spoon and a number of websites.
Congratulations to the Open class winners
- Kappy's Café
- Super Premium Sipping Chocolate
- Bracegirdles, Toorak Gardens
- Monkey Nut Café
- Cremorne Hotel
- Highway Restaurant
- Chocolate at No. 5