Monday, December 21, 2009

Dr Seuss

Again your humble reviewer returns to poetic forms describing hot chocolate themes. We had Haiku, Limericks and Valentine poems in previous postings. Unlike anagrams and palindromes rhyme and meter are very important in poetic forms. One of the masters of this for children's verse was Dr Seuss which is the alias of Theodor Seuss Geisel.

A couple of good parodies of Dr Seuss verse in relation to computer issues have been executed.
What makes Dr Seuss books unique is the use of simple language and themes that appeal to children. "Green Eggs and Ham" uses a vocabulary of just 50 words and only "anywhere" has more than one syllable. Also Dr Seuss usually uses a strict meter and simple rhymes. "Cat in the Hat" is mostly Anapestic Tetrameter. "Green Eggs and Ham" mostly Iambic Tetrameter.

After mulling over this analysis of meter and rhyme a Junior Marmaduke suggested I just change the words to Green Eggs and Ham rather than try to write anything original. This seemed far easier. Thus what we have is an abridged version with apologies to Theodor Giesel.

That Merkel Pet!That Merkel Pet!
I do not like that Merkel Pet!
Do you like hot choc-o-late?
I do not like it, Merkel Pet.
I do not like hot choc-o-late.
Would you like it here or there?
I would not like it here or there.
I would not like it anywhere.
I do not like hot chocolate.
I do not like it Merkel Pet.
Would you like it in a house?
Would you like it with a mouse?
I do not like hot choc-o-late.
I do not like it Merkel Pet.
Would you drink it in a box?
Would you drink it with a fox?
I would not drink hot choc-o-late.
I do not like it Merkel Pet.
You do not like it. So you say.
Try it! Try it! And you may.
Try it and you may, I say.
Merk! If you will let me be,
I will try it. You will see.
Say! I like hot choc-o-late!
I do! I like it, Merkel Pet!
So I will drink it in a box.
And I will drink it with a fox.
And I will drink eat it in a house.
And I will drink eat it with a mouse.
And I will drink it here and there.
Say I will drink it ANYWHERE!
I do so like hot choc-o-late!
Thank you! Thank you, Merkel Pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment